Thursday, June 23, 2011

Voltron

BeforeAfter

Moon Struck Ember A.K.A “Voltron” came to me as a rescue horse in pitiful condition. I mean for a 17H horse, he was in BAD shape and in desperate need of help. So I took him in and immediately fell in love with the devil. And what a devil he was!! He had not been ridden in years and had been abandoned, abused, starved, and was angry at the world. People often forget the mental and emotional scars that animals of these situations carry with them. I was prepared. At first he would not let me even brush him and would either run from me or threaten to kick me if I got too close. I spent days on end just sitting in the pasture with him reading my book while he grazed and his curiosity of me grew. Then one day he decided to trust me….and I proceeded slowly with ground work and completely reschooling him. He was coming along fabulously! I decided it was time to ride him. Oh hell, I don’t think anything could have prepared me for what happened next! Have you ever seen those wild and crazy bucking broncos at the rodeo? Yep, that was us right there in the middle of the jumping arena. Without warning, the moment I put my foot in the stirrup he just exploded. Sneaky devil gave no hint that he was about to launch into a bucking frenzy. Every freaking day for about three weeks I’d have a no holds barred bucking horse death match on my hands. That’s okay; I ignored the bucking, encouraged him to move forward, and rode it out. This soon resolved it’s self and we were now a team! Each day was better, and better. He was putting on weight nicely, his health issues were being addresses, and his trust of me was evident. He is not the same horse as he was three years ago. It’s been a tough journey and there were times when we though he wouldn’t make it, but happily, he’s proven me wrong. He is such a strong willed, mischievous, loving, calmer horse now. He currently resides at Windridge Farm in Fairview, Texas where he is my favorite lesson horse and above all else, my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment